Did you know that...
- Bees have 5 eyes
- Bees fly about 20 mph
- Number of eggs laid by queen: 2,000 per day is the high
- Losing its stinger will cause a bee to die (except when we collect bee venom, our bees don't lose their stinger and so dont die).
- An average beehive can hold around 50,000 bees
- Foragers must collect nectar from about 2 million flowers to make 1 pound of honey
- The average forager makes about 1/12 th of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime
- Average per capita honey consumption in the US is 1.3 pounds
- Bees are important because they pollinate approximately 130 agricultural crops in the US including fruit, fiber, nut, and vegetable crops. Bee pollination adds approximately 14 billion dollars annually to improved crop yield and quality.
Is honeybee one word or two?
Many people notice that dictionaries list "honeybee" as one word. However, entomologists use the two-word naming convention "honey bee." Both are correct!